Getting some experience ...

..for my sports therapy re-sit that is! Today was a little mad dash about with stuff because Doug had to take the van back to Tollcross, so it was all a bit rushed and I couldn't get forms from players really before the game.

Set up my room again, and had one of our players coming for a look at his back and some DTM (deep tissue massage).

I was just about to get our equipment manager for his examiniation & assessment when we had Kenny and Chuck stumbling into the building, Chuck holding his forearm and Kenny telling me that Chuck probably had dislocated his shoulder or elbow (quite a big area and hopefully I'll never come across a dislocated elbow!!). We rushed them into the changing rooms and I had a look ... and saw my first ever real life shoulder dislocation... :O Looks nasty, and Chuck was really in pain. So off I sent Allan to get some ice and then I phoned Doug to see if he was already on the way back to JKC - which he wasn't. Next order was to send Kenny off to get someone from the team who had the car with them so we could get Chuck to A&E (gosh, I'm so glad that we're just 10 mins from ERI!).

After a few minutes Chip turned up and we loaded Chuck into his car. At A&E we actually got seen fairly quickly (think it's the triage thing for dislocated shoulders - the longer it takes for it to be "reduced" = popped back in, the more painful and difficult it is). Chuck was just worried about the waiting time of 4-6 weeks for him to play again ... he's worried someone else is going to take his starting position.

Spent 2.5 hours at A&E and actually saw the X-rays of the shoulder pre and post reduction ... of course I have seen bits and bobs in the books, but seeing stuff in real life is totally different!

We'll see how long it will take for him to recover - he's agreed for me to make up a rehab program for him ... my books say 6-8 weeks to return fully to competitive sport, so we'll see what the doctors are telling him tomorrow at the checkup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the BritBowl XXI house... Day 1

Christmas Journal Entry #2

Official!!!