Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Day 1 of new regime..

Well.. ok, it doesn’t really count as a full day, as

a) the inlaws stayed overnight and did the 1:30am and 4:30am feeds while I just had to express milk

b) the inlaws were here until lunchtime and passed the girls to me for the feed and did the nappy changing and took the girls out for a walk so I could get quickly showered and settled in the living room. And DH was giving Kara the bottle while I was feeding Megan.

Reason for that is that DH is back at work from today, 4 days per week for the next 6 weeks (I believe), before he’s back the full week. Quite daunting thought, with him only around for 1.5 weeks with me and we didn’t really establish a routine for me alone. I kinda envy my friends whose partners/hubbies stayed for longer, but on the other hand – I have to cope with things at some point.

Recovery from c-section for myself is going well, but I think it’s just like after the laparoscopies – I might do too much too early, so this week I’ll just do the feeding (not tandem, as I cannot handle them both at the same time with one or the other kicking up a fuss at every feed!!) which worked out around 1.5 hours for both including meds (wish they didn’t need to be on them, it’s a shame really – they’re currently on Nystan for thrush (I blame Kara’s antibiotcs she got in hospital for the pustules!) and Megan is also on Infacol as she’s quite colicky). AND it incidentally included a big poo from Kara and an EXPLODING TUMMY from Megan! Bet their daddy will be laughing when he reads that – so far I was lucky with no nasty nappies when I did the changing (which, to DH’s due, he’s been doing about 99% since I got home). Oh … and of course Megan decided to wee at the same time I was cleaning her bottom from that nasty poo. Another typical thing for her really! LOL.

I had lunch (yay for prepared leftover lettuce!) and some snacks, but think I really need to stock up on those noodle packs and cut some fruits in the evening for the next day.  Things that ARE not getting done right now (or barely): expressing milk (supposed to do that after each feed, but just don’t have the time during the day really!) and sleep. But right now I’m still running on high with the hormones and of course getting some more sleep last night thanks to the inlaws.

HOWEVER – still getting up for expressing (which usually takes in total about 20-30 mins) has a similar effect to my sleep as getting up every 3 hours for 1.5 hours feeding & expressing. Will have to look into that with DH, maybe not expressing during 2 feeds during the night and just bottle feed?

Things I’ve realised today:

As a new mum your YOUTUBE account will suddenly include lots of lullabies – I’ve already saved some German ones, including “La Le Lu” by Heinz Ruehmann, “Aber Heidschi Bumbeidschi” by Heintje and a version of “Guten Abend, gut’ Nacht”.

Today’s photo of the twins – Ready for the walk with granma & papa, in new outfits (would you believe it’s AUGUST???!!). Kara on the left, Megan on the right.


Joanne said...

They are sooo cute in those, good luck with the new regime.

Pam said...

Aw Kat what gorgeous little daughters you have!!
Good luck with the new regime!!

Kirstu said...

To aww so cute

sharonfruit said...

Kat, the twins are so beautiful and I LOVE the outfits :o) I cannot wait to meet them next month!

S xx