(photos for first 3 items are mine, the rest is courtesy of Google)
- “Stollen” (usually just the buttery type with candied fruit and raisins, but also like the Nougat type or Poppy seed one – just NO MARZIPAN one please – can’t stand the taste of it!!) – best with some squishy cream and a cuppa hot chocolate or tea!
- “Vanillekipferl” (vanilla crescents – tried my best in this country to get my granny’s recipe going, but somehow they don’t rise properly and go all flat – would have thought I’d have figured out why after 13 years!)
And the 2010 batch looked again like the one from 2008!!! I wonder if it’s the butter … or flour…
- “Husarenkrapfen” or ”Engelsaugen” (that’s one of those jam filled Christmas cookies, and I love them! Probably because they don’t cause trouble like the Vanilla crescents! – And I always go for raspberry jam even though they can be made with apricot or other jam as well)
- Gluehweinmuffins (Mulled wine muffins - have done them once, will try them again this year but with Ikea’s “Glogg” – non alcoholic – due to the horrendous prices of Aldi’s/Lidl’s Gluehwein this year!!
- Butterplaetzchen (easy peasy sugar cookies – but so nice decorated… can’t wait for the girls to be old enough to help out there!)
- Christmas Brownies (bought one from my lovely “Stoertebaecker” girls, loved it and found a recipe to try this year!)
- “Nussecken” ( didn’t have them in ages because DH doesn’t eat nuts with chocolate – and the roasted kind only since this autumn! – but might consider making a batch for myself and potential guests)
- “Spritzgebaeck” (one of those piping bag cookie types – haven’t made them yet but is one of the easiest ones to make if you are any good with piping – or so I’ve been told. LOL!)
- “Spekulatius” (spiced cookies – usually nice ornamental shapes and with almond slivers – only shop bought really at Lidl or Aldi).
- Chocolate Gingerbread (never liked the non-choc version and it’s only the shop bought ones so far (again, Lidl or Aldi), but who knows – might start baking them too one year! )
If you have any favourite Christmas cookies/baked goods, please comment with a link to a pic/recipe – I always LOVE looking at new recipes and maybe even bake them!!
For more 10 things on the 10th click here.